Follow these recommendations:
- Use effective insect repellants that contain 30% or less DEET, permethrin, IR3535 or picaridin (KBR 3023) to provide protection against mosquitoes. In addition, oil of lemon eucalyptus has been found to provide as much protection as low concentrations of DEET.
- Take special care to cover up arms and legs when outdoors to minimize the opportunities for mosquitoes to bite.
- Limit outdoor activities that take place during evening or early morning hours, when mosquitoes are most active.
- Fix any holes in your screens and make sure they are tightly attached to all your doors and windows.
- Remove sources of standing water around your home. Mosquitoes will begin to breed in any puddle or standing water that lasts for more than four days. Check gutters, ceramic pots, trash cans, recycling containers, old tires, wading pools, bird baths, or any water-holding containers.