The following excerpts were taken from the NH RSA. The completed RSAs can be found at the library or online.
BACK TO SCHOOL
RSA 265:3-a Obedience to School Crossing Guards
- The driver of any vehicle shall obey the instructions of any school crossing guard invested with authority to direct, control, or regulate traffic. If the school crossing guard is displaying a signal to stop, the driver of a vehicle upon a way shall stop the vehicle at least 25 feet before reaching such school crossing guard. The driver shall not proceed until the school crossing guard indicates that traffic may proceed and until the driver can do so safely.
RSA 265:35 Pedestrian’s Right of Way in Crosswalks
- When traffic control signals are not in place or not in operation the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right of way, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.
- No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.
- Paragraph I shall not apply under the conditions stated in RSA 265:36.
- Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.
RSA 265:54 Overtaking and Passing School Bus
- The driver of a vehicle upon a way upon meeting or overtaking from either direction any school bus, plainly marked with school bus signs or such other distinguishing identification as the director may require, which has stopped on the highway for the purpose of receiving or discharging school children shall stop his or her vehicle before reaching such school bus at least 25 feet away from such school bus. The driver shall not proceed until such school bus resumes motion, or until flashing red light ceases to operate.
RSA 265:3 Obedience to Police Officers
- No person shall willfully fail or refuse to comply with any lawful order or direction of any police officer invested by law with authority to direct, control, or regulate traffic.
RSA 265:6-a Highway Construction and Maintenance
- The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to any authorized vehicle or pedestrian actually engaged in work upon the highway within any construction or maintenance area indicated by official traffic control devices.
RSA 265:37-a Motorist Duties When Approaching Highway Emergencies
When in or approaching an incident involving fire, collision, disaster, or other emergency resulting in partial or complete blockage of a highway, or a location where a police officer has made a traffic stop, every driver other than the driver of an emergency response vehicle, shall:
- Maintain a reduced speed.
- Obey the directions of any authorized person directing traffic and of all applicable emergency signals and traffic control devices.
- Vacate as soon as possible any lane wholly or partially blocked.
- Give a wide berth, without endangering oncoming traffic, to public safety personnel and any persons in the roadway.
SPEED LIMIT REMINDER
RSA 265:60 Basic Rule and Maximum Limits
- No person shall drive a vehicle on a way at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle, or other conveyance on or entering the way in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.
- Where no hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with RSA 265:60, I, the speed of any vehicle not in excess of the limit specified in this section or established as hereinafter authorized shall be prima facie lawful, but any speed in excess of the limit specified in this section or established as hereinafter authorized shall be prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable or prudent and that it is unlawful.
In a posted school zone, at a speed of 10 miles per hour below the usual posted limit from 45 minues prior to each school opening until each school opening and from each school closing until 45 minutes after each school closing.
The following is a list of speed limits throughout the Town of Plaistow, which our Officers AGGRESSIVELY enforce!!!
Rte 125/Plaistow Road
- From the state line (by Heavenly Donuts) to Plaza 160 (by Sanborn’s Candy) …. 35 MPH
- From the area of Plaza 160 to the Kingston town line … 45 MPH
Rte 108/Newton Road …40 MPH
Main Street/Rte 121A
- From the state line intersection with Rte 125 …30 MPH
- The intersection of Rte 125 to the area of Chaya Brother’s …35 MPH
- From Chaya Brother’s to the Hampstead town line …40 MPH
Forrest Street …25 MPH
Chandler Avenue …25 MPH
Old County Road …25 MPH
East Road …30 MPH
North Avenue …30 MPH
Sweethill Road …30 MPH