An empty house is a tempting target for a burglar. Use the following checklist to help safeguard your home while you are away on vacation.
- Have good locks on all doors and windows.
- Close and lock all doors, garage doors, and windows.
- Secure storage sheds, barns, attics, and gates.
- If you leave a car at home, park it as you normally would.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your house while you are away. It is a good idea to leave your vacation address and telephone number with a neighbor so you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Never leave your house key hidden outside your home.
- Stop all deliveries or arrange for a neighbor or friend to pick up your mail, packages, and newspapers.
- If you plan on being away for an extended period of time, arrange for someone to mow your lawn, rake leaves, and maintain your yard to give your home a lived-in appearance.
- If you plan on being away during the winter months, arrange for someone to plow your driveway and clear your walkway to give your home a lived-in appearance.
- Don’t announce your absence on your answering machine’s outgoing message.
- Leave your blinds, shades, and curtains in a normal position. Don’t close them unless that is what you do when you are normally home.
- Engrave your valuables. This will allow any stolen property to be identified and returned to you if recovered by the police.
If you wish to have your house periodically checked by the Plaistow Police Department, please complete the Vacation Check List Form and return it to the Plaistow Police Department. This form is also available at the Police Department. Your home will then be added to our vacation security check list and periodically checked by our Officers while you are away.
|Vacation Check List||123.94 KB|